Subgames form a foundation for the game. Different subgames have different objectives – such as survival, building, or player vs. player. Usually Minetest comes with Minetest Game, which supplies the default items.
- Dreambuilder - A building based game, includes many building materials.
- Carbone NG - Focuses on “optimization, game balance, fun and intuitiveness.”
- Big Freaking Dig - “Get as many ores as possible, while fighting mobs and creating tools from new materials.”
- Tutorial - “Teaches the fundamental basics of Minetest”
- Voxelgarden - “Survival and progression. Focus is on quality over features.”
Mods (or modifications) are changing the game content from what it originally was. Mostly they add new features to gameplay, but can also change or remove existing content.
All content in the game, including tools, blocks, and items, are added to the game using Lua mod plugins. Minetest comes with a collection of these plugins by default in a set called Minetest Game.
Learn how to install and use mods.
Find more texture packs on the forums.