Getting into development
There are several ways to get into development:
- Modding: Develop a mod independently and publish it on the forums.
- Core development: If you think of something that is needed in the core, then talk with the core team (preferably a lot, with multiple members - communication is more important than you think) and do it.
- Translating: Help translating Minetest at our web interface.
Upstream repositories and official Windows packages are handled by the core team, consisting of a bunch of people who are much trusted to keep Minetest progressing in good condition. The core team is best contacted on IRC at
#minetest-dev @ chat.freenode.net.
The core team is formed of people who have made great contributions to Minetest.
Contributions are approved if two members of the core team agree on them.
Minetest is distributed as an engine, combined with a couple of games. Upstream repositories can be found at https://github.com/minetest/.
- The engine (core) is the base for everything. C++ is used for housekeeping and performance-critical stuff, Lua for extensible things.
- Games define game content: nodes, entities, textures, meshes, sounds and custom behavior implemented in Lua. Games consist of mods that plug into the engine using the Modding API.
Different things related to Minetest are maintained by different people, contacted in different ways. Here you can find where to report issues, bugs and any other kinds of problems regarding to each “product”.
People are generally available on freenode IRC, the Minetest Forums, GitHub and/or via email.
Programs and Services
|Program||People Responsible||Source||Issue Tracker|
|Minetest Engine||Core devs||Source||Issues|
|Minetest Game||Core devs||Source||Issues|
|Minetest Mapper||Core devs||Source||Issues|
|Blender B3DExport||Core devs||Source||Issues|
|Service||People Responsible||Source||Issue Tracker|
|*.minetest.net DNS||celeron55||n/a||Contact celeron55. His approval is needed to host under minetest.net|
|forum.minetest.net||celeron55||Theme||Contact a moderator for concerns about content (Use "report this post" if possible)|
|wiki/dev.minetest.net||celeron55||MediaWiki||Ask for an account to edit or report issues on the forum|
|Google Play||nerzhul aka. nrzkt||n/a||Contact nerzhul|
If you want to monetarily support Minetest, here's what you can do:
You can tip money to celeron55, to be mostly used for hosting of websites and overall maintenance effort on the project.
PayPal address: email@example.com (Please note in the message that you're supporting Minetest in particular.)
Your favourite server or modder might accept tips too; make sure to check those out.